Friday, December 2, 2011

Healing from Abortion


Carol Phillips

 Seven years ago, I would not have imagined that I would be so blessed to participate in the CareNet ministry.  In fact, I was not even open to any kind of ministry.  I attended church, did a few little feel-good services at church and then went about my empty life doing only what I thought at the time was making me happy.  God certainly had another plan and knowing me better than I knew myself, decided it was time to bring me to my knees, a place I had not been in a very long time. 
My journey started with a phone call from a friend asking my husband and me to join them for the CareNet banquet.    After attending the banquet, I felt like this would be another great feel-good ministry for me.  I went in for the interview for volunteer training and that’s when God put the first kink in my plan.  I was told that because of something I had done in my past, I would not be allowed to volunteer before an additional class was added, along with volunteer training.  What was this “thing” that I had pushed out of my mind for so many years?   I had an abortion when I was in college.  It happened over 30 years ago and I was sure it had no effect on me, but if those were the rules, and I signed up for New Dawn Post Abortion Forgiveness Bible study.  
With a heart that wasn’t really into it, I started going to the New Dawn study.  I was halfway through the study when God must have decided enough was enough.   We were on the chapter that was about God revealing the name of our aborted baby.   I had only written down one name because that was all I could think of.  There on a handout just given to us, in bold letters, was the name I had written down in my study book.  I turned white and was having trouble breathing.   From that moment on, I knew Christ was in control and he had my full attention.    He showed me that I had lived a life of short-term relationships, multiple marriages and very bad decisions because I knew in my heart that I was not worthy or deserving of any better.  I had killed my child and what mother does that to her baby?  God had thrown me a life-line with New Dawn.  From the moment I asked, accepted and believed His forgiveness, I started pulling myself away from the grasp of Satan and into a life that I love now more than ever.   
Right after I started volunteering here, the Sonogram coordinator position opened.  I wasn’t sure I was ready for that kind of commitment, but if God opened the door, there must be a reason.  It was not long before I knew what it was.  Most of the pregnant girls want a sonogram and some are considering an abortion.  He wanted me to share with others the downward spirals your life will take if a mother chooses to abort her baby.  I was scared and nervous the first few times and afraid of not saying the right words. Now I say a prayer that Christ helps me find the right words.  He is always in that room with all of us as we work as a team to give the gift of life to the unborn. 
Today life is completely different than seven years ago and I thank God every day for that.  If God hadn’t loved me enough to change me from the self serving person I had been, then I would have never known the real joy of life and being a servant of God and loving every minute of it.  CareNet was my lifeline and we all see that it is for so many clients.  We pray God brings them to their knees so they will reach up and take the precious gift that He is offering if only you will reach to Him!!